Travel to KolkataÂ (formally known as Calcutta), the cultural capital of India and experience one of the most hospitable and friendly cities in the world. Kolkata is also home to some of the worldâ€™s most fascinating historical architecture, dating back to the 18thÂ and 19th century.
Top 5 things to do in Kolkata
- Pay your respects to one of the most influential women to have ever lived – Mother Teresa, with a visit to her home (known as the â€˜Motherhouseâ€™), located right in the heart of the city.
- Visit Kalighat Kali Temple, which is dedicated to the Hindu goddess of Kali, and one of the most visited sacred sites of the city.
- Step back in time at the Indian Museum – the most significant, and the first museum to be founded in India. Here, you will enjoy a vast collection of art and artifacts spanning hundreds of thousands of years.
- Indulge in a delicious, hearty breakfast at the Terreti Morning Market (Bazar). Each morning, vendors set up stalls and serve up a mouthwatering array of foods as well as fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Pick up a souvenir (or two) at Artisana, one of Kolkata’s best kept shopping secrets. This tiny, but extremely popular store sells an array of beautifully hand-woven textiles including saris and intricately embroidered scarves.
Plan your Kolkata holiday
This cosmopolitan city of Kolkata is an exceptional showpiece capital of western imperialism, with streets lined with endless art galleries, music festivals, book fairs and more. With such a popular tourist season, we recommend booking your flights to Kolkata a few months in advance so that you can plan your holiday at leisure. You can easily find affordable hotels in Kolkata if you choose to stay at a distance from the famous tourist destinations.